Monday, October 26, 2015

In the Beginning

I was born at 209am on May 4th, 1955.  Haha -- gotcha!  Guess I won't start at THAT beginning.  But I will go back to this spring.  I had been working with Joe (my husband) for a couple years, from our home.  He's a Territory Manager for a large financial company called Heartland Payment Systems.  I used to work for the same company, but they did away with my position, and we decided at that time that I should stay home and help him.  So -- as the Chief Executive Assistant (meaning I "managed the manager") - his business began to thrive.  So much so, that I got a little bit restless -- ok -- I got a LOT a bit restless. I decided I needed an outside job -- that maybe we were having a little bit TOO much togetherness.  When I was shopping in a grocery store, I saw my old supervisor from Child Support and she said they may be looking for more people again.  Then I saw 2 gals I used to work with there and they said to apply now -- they are hiring and they would even ask to be on the interview panel -- so I should be a shoe in.  Alright -- medical and dental insurance -- not to mention a steady eddie income.  I was set!  I sent in my resume and was invited to come take the 4 hour test (again - yucka).  I took the test and the last 2 questions killed me -- an absent parent asking for payment arrangements because they have more family to provide for. Oohhh - man, I don't know if I want to do this again.  Oh well -- steady eddie will make up for it.  Except I failed the test!  What?!? This is a job I performed for FOURTEEN YEARS.  How can I possibly fail the test?  I was SO embarrassed.  I didn't even tell the girls in Bible study I applied.  I cried about it for days. How could this have happened?

But -- like I said, there's always a silver lining.  My son Abe was working for a vendor that provided live plants to Lowes and they were in desperate need of another employee.  I went ahead and applied, with not much hope but  ta-da!  ended up getting the job.  It was minimum wage with no benefits -- but it got me out of the house!  And I LOVED it!  Having people look to ME as a plant expert.  Little did they know....the running joke in my family was that Mom is not good with LIVING THINGS at all.  I have some beautiful plants -- rubber tree, alfalfa sprouts, geraniums -- but they are all plastic or silks! I have one live plant that has survived for nearly 37 years now.  It's a marble plant that someone gave me when Dylan (my oldest son) was born.  It was in a bright yellow round Smiley Face vase when I got it, and after about 8 years the plant ended up going into a tall glass vase filled with just water, where it has lived ever since, believe it or not!  So there I was -- working at Lowes, thriving in the sun daily, getting at least 12,000 up to 22,000 steps in EACH day, unloading tall towers of plants and flowers daily.  This job REALLY spoke to my soul -- I mean, when someone would buy a plant or two, I would pop right over and fill it in with more plants so everything was all neat and orderly and color-coordinated (my favorite!)  People asking me "What plants can survive in shade?" or "Is this blueberry plant a good producer?"  After awhile, you know the answers (course it helps having a wonderful mentor like Nelma who is about 20 years my senior and knows EVERYTHING about plants and has worked at Lowes in Kennewick for over 25 years).

UNABASHED, UNSOLICITED PLUG:  If you buy a perennial plant (the ones that come back year after year), or a shrub or tree from Lowes, and it dies before a year is up -- you can take it back to Lowes and they will give you a whole new one as a replacement!  AND -- you don't even need to keep your receipt if you purchase it and use your MYLOWES reward card (which is connected to your phone number) because they will automatically have record of the original purchase.  Pretty cool warranty.



1 comment:

  1. Hi Carolynn!
    Or atleast I think that's your name since it's the name for your blog (partly). Sorry we have met and that I have had intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma for 4 years and almost 9 months. No surgeries on my liver but just good old chemo/radiation...and lastly a clinical trial that worked for 8 months and I felt wonderful!! I am getting ready to get a biopsy of my liver....(Boy...their fun) and send it to the MATCH Program at NIH. They can test it to see what best therapies are available to treat my mutations. This will be my third biopsy. To me....find a dr who sees cholangiocarcinoma patients ALOT! Otherwise, you will not live long...just stating the facts. God has been right beside me on this journey and as I write this, I am so very thankful to Him for being my rock! God bless you and may He keep you in the palm of HIS hand!! Hugs my friend!! Patty from Illinois

    ReplyDelete